COVID isn’t the only virus to cause long-lasting symptoms. Other viruses – including the flu – can have similar enduring effects on our tissues and immune systems.
To learn more about this topic, start your googling with these keywords:
– Sequelae: Chronic complications of an acute condition.
– RSV: Respiratory Syncytial Virus infects a majority of children before the age of two.
– SARS: Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome is a coronavirus-caused respiratory disease responsible for an outbreak in 2002-2003.
– Cytokine Storm: A sudden increase in pro-inflammatory cytokines that causes a severe immune reaction.
– Fibrosis: Pathological wound healing that leads to the formation of scar tissue.