By Mark O’Neill
Contributing Writer, [GAS]
2008 has been a great year for movie lovers. The biggest movie has undoubtedly been The Dark Knight but on top of that, you can also add James Bond, Indiana Jones, and the X Files sequel.
But now, all attention is turning to what is coming out next year – and in my opinion, there are some real golden nuggets in among the list. Here’s what I am looking forward to.
- Inkheart : based on a German children’s book by Cornelia Funke, this was supposed to come out last year but has been pushed back. Starring Brendan Fraser, Helen Mirren and Andy Serkis (yes, Gollum from Lord of the Rings). The plot is a bit unoriginal (storybook coming to life, etc) but I still want to see it. Initial previews are said to be good.
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen : I absolutely loved the first Transformers movie, despite telling myself that I would hate it. Maybe it just reminds me of my childhood when I owned the entire Transformers car collection!
- Terminator Salvation : The BIGGIE. The one I have waiting ages for. If this movie sucks, my entire year will go down the toilet. Sorry but I am a huge fan. After the disappointing T-3, I need this movie to succeed to restore my confidence in the franchise. Especially since Arnie won’t be in it. Perhaps this is what the whole thing needs – fresh faces.
- Angels & Demons – based on the book by Dan Brown. This is the prequel to the Da Vinci Code and in my mind, this should have been made BEFORE the Da Vinci Code, not AFTER. I also have deep reservations about Tom Hanks playing Langdon. A & D is one of my favourite books and I am a bit nervous that Hollywood is going to do its usual assassination job on it. I nervously wait and pray (the Church will like the praying bit).
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine : I would much prefer a full X-Men movie with ALL the characters. This seems to be a prequel with just Logan and how he got his Wolverine powers. Supposedly there will also be some cameo appearances from other X-Men too (maybe from the delicious Halle Berry?)
- Star Trek : This is the one we are ALL waiting for, isn’t it? If it fails, then JJ Abrams had better pack his bags, change his identity and flee before the geeks pounce on him and maul him! Expectations are high for this Star Trek as it goes WAY back to the very beginning when Kirk, Spock and the rest of the original crew are in the training academy. This has already started some grumbling from die-hard fans so it goes to show that not everyone can be made happy. Only time will tell if Abrams can prove us all wrong and produce a sensational movie.
- Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince : I swear, if this movie is put off one more time, I am going to emigrate to an isolated island where I don’t have to listen to the complaints of my girlfriend, her family, her friends, some of my friends, people online and anyone else who thinks that Daniel Radcliffe is the hottest thing in pants. Can we just please show this movie, keep everybody happy and then everyone will finally stop complaining about the endless delays?! Thank you!
So what movies in 2009 are you eagerly awaiting? Ones from this list or other ones? Let us know in the comments (except if it’s for the Pink Panther sequel, then don’t say anything at all! Ha! Ha!)