By Mark O’Neill
Contributing Writer, [GAS]
Church leaders are apparently so alarmed at the hate and vitriol coming from religious blogs that they have drawn up a list of ten “Blogging Commandments” to save their bloggers from damnation, sin and everlasting hellfire.
Obviously, when Moses was busy writing out his commandments, he didn’t factor in things like the internet, website trolls, IT people, spammers, right-wing Christian conservatives and George W Bush. So being the modern technological 21st century, a re-write seems to be in order – “The 10 Comms – The Bloggers Edition”. Hey, if George Lucas can go back and re-do Star Wars, why can’t we go back and fiddle around with the Ten Commandments?
You might think that being religious, “God Bloggers” are nice quiet calm peaceful folk. But it seems to be the opposite. American right-wing bloggers are supposed to be the most extreme in their postings and Christian blogs seem to attract a lot of hateful comments.
- You shall not put your blog before your integrity (oh yay)
- You shall not make an idol of your blog (amen)
- You shall not misuse your screen name by using your anonymity to sin (I’m talking to you Judas!)
- Remember the Sabbath day by taking one day off a week from your blog (all that preaching is tiring!)
- Honor your fellow-bloggers above yourselves and do not give undue significance to their mistakes (just make sure instead that their mistakes reach number one in the search results)
- You shall not murder someone else’s honor, reputation or feelings (you can just kick it around a bit..)
- You shall not use the web to commit or permit adultery in your mind (how can you have sex in your head? Is that a Catholic thing?)
- You shall not steal another person’s content (you shall instead use a blog scraper to steal it for you on your behalf)
- You shall not give false testimony against your fellow-blogger (that’s what the police is for! dimwit!)
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s blog ranking. Be content with your own content (is it a sin to worship Google PageRank?)
Can you think of any more commandments that should be added for bloggers?
Thou shalt not upload – Times Online