By Mark O’Neill
I’ve just been reading an interesting article in the British Daily Telegraph about the Geek Squad which has just spread from the US over to the UK. It seems that for premium prices they are doing a booming trade in fixing people’s computers and gadgets. The top requests seem to be :
- Setting up a BlackBerry to synchronise email with a PC
- Activating and synchonizing an iPhone
- Installing a SlingBox (the gadget that lets you watch home TV anywhere)
- Setting up a webcam (with Skype)
- Installing and securing a home wireless network
- Installing a system for regular automated backups of important data
- Cleaning up viruses and spyware
To test the service, the reporter invited one of the geek agents around to the house to get some computer things done. The tasks were installing Skype, creating a home wireless network, making the router secure and transferring the iTunes library from an old laptop. The bill? $260.
I am definately in the wrong business.