It’s a fact, everyone loves pizza, even ex Russian presidents. Here are 11 delicious facts about pizza.
- The first online pizza purchase of all time was from Pizza Hut in 1994.
- The first Bitcoin transaction ever occurred in 2010 and was for a pizza. The person paid 10,000BTC, or about $25 back then, which is now worth approximately $7 million.
- Ancient Greeks and Egyptians covered flatbreads with toppings, but the real modern pizza originated in NAPLES in the 1700s when the poor added tomatoes to focaccia.
- Pizza hut paid $1 million to the Russian Space Agency to deliver a 6″ pizza to the ISS in 2001.
- 5 billion pizzas are sold worldwide each year, with 252 million pounds of pepperoni eaten. 350 slices are eaten each second.
- Brian Wells, an American pizza delivery, robbed a bank in 2013 right before a bomb attached to his neck killed him, apparently under coercion from the maker of the bomb.
- Dominos’s 30-minute delivery promise was dropped in the U.S. because pizza delivery men had too many accidents while delivering their goods
- Domino’s Brazil ran a DVD promotional campaigns in partnership with video rental stores where DVDs where printed with pictures of pizza which started smelling pizza once heated by the DVD player.
- An ex Russian president was found drunk in the streets of Washington DC in his underwear, hailing a cab, craving for pizza.
- Dubbed the Pizza Principle, since 1960, the New York Subway fare has always matched the price of a slice of Pizza.
- NASA has recently funded the development of a 3D pizza printer.